[GLLUG] Linux

Bill Bartilson bbartilson at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 12:50:09 EST 2004

The SAS proxy is redirecting your requests...using another windows machine
to register the connection will work.  But there's a big caveat:

You have to use the same NIC, or it'll bomb when you try to use the linux
box.

The SAS registration uses the MAC address of the NIC connected to the modem
at the time of registration.

I personally get around all of that BS by using one of those cheap LinkSys
routers.  They have a feature where you can 'set' the MAC address that the
router presents to the cable modem.  So, as far as Comcast is concerned, all
I have ever connected is a 3C905 with MAC address 0B-A3-...etc...even though
I no longer have any idea where that particular NIC is anymore.

That would be the easiest way to do it.  Buy a cheap router - use any
windows box to do the 'registration', then, never worry about it again.

The obvious other alternative would be to take the NIC out of your Linux
box, put it in a Windows box for long enough to register, and then put it
back.

As for the browsers, etc:

With regard to 'proxy settings' in the browsers - there are none.  As far as
the browser is concerned, you are directly connected to the internet.

Good luck.  Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Regards,
Bill