[GLLUG] Comcast issue

Michael Cox m-cox at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 12:46:41 EST 2004

You don't mention your Linux distro. Some distros offer a GUI to set up
your network, SuSE does via the YAST program. It might be useful
information for someone to help you more specifically. I mention this
because the SuSE distro actually expects you to use their GUI, and the
configuration might need some extra steps if you change files manually.

If you are new, you probably should not be using a NIS Domain. The
"gateway" is in etc/sysconfig/routes, your gateway should equal my
gateway if you have a router. You don't say what your local network
looks like. If you are not using a router, my message won't be of much
help, other than to suggest that you do get a router since you have a
direct connection to the Internet.

You should have removed all the proxy information from your systems. The
Comcast proxy is to authenticate your account only, it is not needed to
use your connection. In fact, your connection probably won't work with
the proxy info entered.

My /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 file contents:

BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
IPADDR='192.168.1.115'
MTU=''
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.1.0'
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='onboot'
UNIQUE='gZD2._iJPxW1IB2C'
WIRELESS='no'

My /etc/sysconfig/network/routes file contents:
192.168.1.1

My /etc/resolv.conf file contents:
nameserver 63.240.76.4
nameserver 204.127.198.4