[GLLUG] Re: burning cds

Jolyon Michael Vincent vincen21 at msu.edu
Sat Jul 3 18:52:05 EDT 2004

Brian Craft writes:

> Seth Seger wrote:
>> Hi, I'm a linux newbie, and I'm trying to explore as
>> many different distros as possible, and learn as much
>> as I can.
<<SNIP>>
>>  Is it
>> better/easier to just burn cds this way?  How would I
>> do that?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>>

> Put in a blank CD into your CD-ROM Burner drive.  Launch K3b and then
> click on Tools/CD/Burn CD image.
>
> A window will open up that will allow you to burn the .iso image into a
> usable format on the CD.
> --
> Brian Craft

me 2! except my problem is that I need to back up data on a dual dvd drive.
The ONLY place I have found that even has DVD-RW is at Erickson hall at MSU.
This lab is open to the public; you do not have to be a student to use it.
For that, I am grateful. Still, I don't know where to find a dual sided
burner. I can't afford to buy a drive myself (even single sided) but I do
have a stack of 25 dvd-r blanks that I want to use to back up my data. Would
it be possible to use these same general-spec dvds to burn on a dual sided
drive?
Do you or anyone you know have had any experience burning double sided dvds?

I'm trying to backup my 160gb HDD, I have had problems with finding a viable
solution to backing up this much data without purchasing another drive of
equal size. I think that at a dollar a dvd, using ds-dvds would be a
reasonable alternative. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you get about
4.7gb per side? so if I figure on backing up even just 120gb, I could
probably do it with the stack of blanks I have now (assuming I can use them
for dual-sided drives).

My mind is wandering--I'll stop now and wait for your reply.