[GLLUG] Knoppix as Debian installer (was) Re: cheap cd-rw drives

Michael Rudas mpr_linux at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 3 23:39:54 EDT 2004

Bruce Smith wrote:

>I'm a long time Redhat user, and most recently SuSE.
>
>I've heard good things about Debian, and I've make a
few attempts to try
>Debian and never got very far.  In fact I've never
got past the install.

[snip]

>I don't care if the installer looks pretty, but I'd
like it to detect
>hardware and work.  Text mode is fine, I don't need a
GUI/X.  But it has
>to be functional!

I have used Knoppix as a Debian installer for over a
year.  I have deliberately done multiple installs,
partly for whole-distribution updating and partly as a
learning exercise.  I have been quite pleased,
overall, and would recommend it to almost anyone who
wants to install and learn Linux.  Having the
bandwidth of DSL helps; minor glitches have happened,
but pre-update backups are quick and you can't beat
the price -- or the convenience of apt-get.  It's been
a good experience and learning tool.

    -- Michael Rudas