[GLLUG] /boot on /dev/hda

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Tue Jul 6 21:47:50 EDT 2004

Hi,

Is there still a need to have /boot on /dev/hda
(especially on the first portions of /dev/hda)?

Is this "need" (which I have encountered by
experience over the years, RTFM, etc) due
to dinosaur hardware or due to ancient
(and since improved) boot loaders, distros, kernels, etc?

All this assumes that master boot record is
configured to point to grub, etc.  Specifically,
I am interested to hear if Mandrake 10.0 works
fairly robustly for dual boot solutions where
everything (including /boot) is on /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc,
or /dev/hdd.

Just hoping somebody can jog my memory, shed some
light, and all the kewl things some of you out
there take time to do.

Regards,
Scott