[GLLUG] SUMMARY: cd-rw drives and hard drives

Scott Henry Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Tue Jun 22 12:11:41 EDT 2004

Hi:

Where to get good value on hard drives and CD-RW drives.
A summary of responses from everybody (thank you!).

WEB SITES:
tigerdirect.com
pricewatch.com
xpbargains.com
computergeeks.com
Newegg.com
techbargains.com

COMMENTS:
"a better drive/you get what you pay for/
quality worth something" (especially as relates to CD-RW drives;
                 Lite-On recommended)

"Think about things long-term"

"a place called MBE in West Lansing
that is a PC wholesaler" (do bunch of paper work to be independent
                         reseller/consultant...get a "DBA" from the
                         county)

"deep discounts for the holiday sales, the next one being the 4th of
July."

"Plextor workin for 3 years" = good

"The thing about rebates is, they'll try to steal your
money just about every time." (yep, been there done that, the painful
                              elevator music contacting their
                              resolution and problems number ohhh!)

"can help to know the exact model number you are looking for"
       (after doing research, etc)

"computer trade shows"

Thanks go out to:
Matt Graham, Sean O'Malley, Jolyon Vincent, Chuck Ulrich,
Mark Lachniet, Paul Melson, Chick Tower, and Michael Rudas

Regards,
Scott