[GLLUG] cheap cd-rw drives

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Tue Jun 29 21:57:28 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 11:35, David Smith wrote:
> Kind of on the same topic....
>
> Nearly every time I burn a music CD it seems to skip after 1-3 months of
> usage.  Even if it just sits in the cd player in my car.  I'm wondering if
> the quality of the burner or blank cds has anything to do with this?

This thread's probably a few days old by now, but...

The quality of the media is extremely important. Remember this and tell
it to all your friends and family: never buy those cheapo bulk CD-Rs,
especially the ones that come wrapped in cellophane rather than a proper
container. You *will* get bad discs and *none* will last for any
significant time. My friend bought some one of these once where the
aluminum was actually flaking off the top of the disc after a week or
two of use.

Although I don't typically look too closely at the labels when
purchasing discs, I notice that I end up with a lot of Verbatim discs. I
tend to shoot for the middle ground on price. Haven't had a problem with
them yet.

Charles Ulrich