[GLLUG] Couple of questions regarding incoming internet traffic

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Sun May 2 21:33:25 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 10:54, Seth Bembeneck wrote:
> How do I go about setting up a router in gentoo that blocks all ports
> except for the ones I want and forwards the allowed ports to the
> different ip addresses?

Most firewalls will do this. Unless Gentoo is an absolute requirement,
you may want to look into IPCop. IPCop is a tiny Linux distro that you
can install on any old low-end machine with two NICs. Just pop in the
disc, install it, and you have an instant firewall with a few bonus
features as well including port forwarding. You configure it from a web
browser on the "inside" network, no obscure commands required. It's
quite nice.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net