[GLLUG] Couple of questions regarding incoming internet traffic

scollins scollins at thegeekery.com
Sat May 1 11:12:30 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 10:54, Seth Bembeneck wrote:
> How do I go about setting up a router in gentoo that blocks all ports
> except for the ones I want and forwards the allowed ports to the
> different ip addresses?

Well, this is something less 'gentoo' specific as it is iptables
specific. iptables... for all your packet directing needs :)

> What I would like to do is to route a range of ports from my LinkSys
> router to the gentoo router, which from there sends it to the
> respective computers.
>
> Also, Is it possible to have apache send incoming traffic to a
> different server? For example, I want to set up a second web server
> (web1). I would like somedomain.com to be hosted on web1. But when
> people type in somdomain.com they are sent to my main server. Can my
> main server forward them to web1?

You mean to forward all port 80 traffic to an alternate machine through
the linksys then through the gentoo box? I rekon it'll work... might
take some time to get working right though. First thing make sure your
isp doesn't already filter port 80 traffic ;)

-steven