[GLLUG] DTC LAN to support LTS in Schools

Florian Mettetal falieson at falsworld.com
Wed May 5 17:22:49 EDT 2004

Greetings everyone, I don't post very often, but here it is.

The DeWitt Technology Club is having a lan party on the 14th of May
(Friday next week) between the hours of 5:00 and 10:30.

The lan party will be your own personal PCs on our network and we might
even have a couple dedicated servers for UT2k4 and counter-strike if the
equipment provides.

The technology clubs number one focus right now is to get a Linux
Terminal Server working on the current network and available for
students and faculty to login in and connect to from the current
technology available to the district (old P2 and low p3 compaqs trying
to run windoze office xp and etc.). As a primary focus we are targeting
the graphic arts department who are relying on Photoshop 5 and
transferring them to TheGIMP as well as an awesomely fast server able to
render their effects in a few seconds rather than a half hour.

For this purpose our Dual Opteron 240 came in Monday and we will soon be
installing gentoo at the next meeting (Thursday from 3:00-5:00).

All funds raised from this and other events will go to buying more RAM
for the server. Currently we have 1G but as Jeff Lawton informed me...
thats good for 10 OpenOffice.org clients, heh. I think we will want a
bit more! =)

For more information and to register for the lan go to
http://dtc.falsworld.com/lan/ . Admittance to the lan is 5$ and
registered people have first dibs. We are only admitting 30 people to
this lan as we want to keep it small and contained. It will be at the
DeWitt Junior High, Friday I will update the website and add information
about how to get there.

For more information about the DTC go to http://dtc.falsworld.com

Thanks a lot, especially to all of those whom are interested!