[GLLUG] Distribution Shopping

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Fri May 14 19:35:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:50, Brian Hoort wrote:
> I'm browsing for a new distro.  I would very much like to have a KDE-based
> one.  Connectiva appears to be, but it's spanish speaking native.  I
> checked out Fedora, it's definitely Gnome-oriented.  Any ideas?

I run Fedora on my laptop and KDE works just fine. Use it almost every
day. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a distro that's
"KDE-based". Most of the larger ones support GNOME and KDE equally well.
When that's taken out of consideration, you only need to concern
yourself with the usual pros and cons of the different distros:
stability, package selection, etc. Fedora could quite easily become my
favorite desktop OS if it weren't for the rpm/up2date/apt/yum
trainwreck. I've been permanently spoiled by FreeBSD's easy upgrades so
my only option with Fedora is to stick with what comes on the CD and the
officially-released updates. (Which only fix bugs, never add features,
AFAIK.)

Charles Ulrich