[GLLUG] Re: Distribution Shopping

Jolyon Michael Vincent vincen21 at msu.edu
Sun May 16 18:43:56 EDT 2004

C. Ulrich writes:

> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:50, Brian Hoort wrote:
>> I'm browsing for a new distro.  I would very much like to have a KDE-based
>> one.  Connectiva appears to be, but it's spanish speaking native.  I
>> checked out Fedora, it's definitely Gnome-oriented.  Any ideas?
>
> I run Fedora on my laptop and KDE works just fine. Use it almost every
> day. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a distro that's
> "KDE-based". Most of the larger ones support GNOME and KDE equally well.
> When that's taken out of consideration, you only need to concern
> yourself with the usual pros and cons of the different distros:
> stability, package selection, etc. Fedora could quite easily become my
> favorite desktop OS if it weren't for the rpm/up2date/apt/yum
> trainwreck. I've been permanently spoiled by FreeBSD's easy upgrades so
> my only option with Fedora is to stick with what comes on the CD and the
> officially-released updates. (Which only fix bugs, never add features,
> AFAIK.)
>
> Charles Ulrich

Use Open Source Software. http://www.gllug.org is much better.

Well, so far I have not explored the ramifcations of using knoppix in an
open air environment, but I am hoping that it will recognize the usb port
AND the proprietary environment upon which my laptop exists. I am feeling
abit enebrieated and ecclectic at the moment, and would like to say that I
heard knoppix-std is a variant that supports war-driving, and USB.

I have a usb wifi card; I have not tested it yet but linksys should be
suppported. I have a problem getting knoppix configuration files to be
persistent; if anyone else has a variant of knoppix that is ultra-secure and
can be used for war driving, lemmie know.

The fact that knoppix doesn't "harm" the host operating system makes it the
perfect CD to use in libraries, corporate offices, and other places where
public access is available but generally undesirable as it stands.

Download knoppix, if you don't like it then just reboot. No 3 hour installs,
and it works on really old old hardware.

My hardware (That I'm thinking of at the moment) consists of a pentium 2 MMX
233MHZ laptop with 128mb of ram. Running Lilo, I boot default to windows 95.
There is no room to spare on the 4gb HDD, which contains Redhat 6.?? and
windows 95osr2. You have no idea how much I want to upgrade windows, and
delete or upgrade that old version of redhat. I wish I could run fedora, but
this is a plug for Knoppix.

I welcome all comments, suggestions, and help regarding this relic and wish
myself the best of luck configuring it to run a relatively new operating
system with X-windows. I want to run applications like Mozilla, VMWARE,
servers/services for the web, and more. If I had the link to the distro for
knoppix that I'm thinking of, I'd provide it here; but I am at a internet
cafe atm, and do not have the link for you. Knoppix.org or similar has
profound news on the state of software in Europe too. I suggest reading it
if you haven't already.

I think that open source, GPL software is the way to go. I support
legitimate operations of distribution for the above and encourage others to
do so as well. Together as a community we can bring linux to the masses.

Which brings me to another question for the GLLUG: when is the next install
fest?