[GLLUG] Meeting Minutes, November 4, 2004

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Mon Nov 8 20:38:42 EST 2004

Greetings fellow LUG members. If you didn't attend the meeting, here's
all the cool stuff that you missed. Apologies for the delay with these
minutes. I was busy all day friday and out of town over the weekend.

Vital Statistics
----------------
14 people attended the meeting which started at 6:00PM and ended at
approximately 8:30PM.

Official Business
-----------------
Are you knowledgable in Linux or Unix and revel in the joy of passing on
your geekly knowledge to new users? If so, we encourage you to
volunteer to teach a GLLUG LPI class. These classes are designed to
teach the content of the Linux Professional Institute Linux
certification exams. Please volunteer your time, if you can, by
contacting the Presentation Director, Curt, at asenchi at asenchi.com.

Pre-meeting Banter
------------------
GeeXboX is an extremely tiny bootable media player. It is based on
MPlayer and allows you to watch movies, DVDs, TV. Probably does some
other nifty things as well. It can even play them from an SMB share.

http://www.geexbox.org/

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP
and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just
download, extract and start.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Presentation
------------
Working with SQLite by Chick Tower

Chick gave an excellent overview of SQLite, the minimalist, embeddable
SQL database engine. It is very fast and it is very small with 30K
lines of C code. It is a good solution for many smaller applications
which will never need a full-blown enterprise-class database engine
such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle.

http://www.sqlite.org/

Some SQLite links were already posted to the list, but a few attendees
were interested finding in a good resource for learning SQL. Here is
one such resource that was recommended:

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

General Banter
--------------
There was plenty of General Banter after the presentation, but it was in
the form of several small groups talking amongst themselves and there
far too much to actually document.

There was a minor distro war.

There was also pizza.

Next Week's Meeting
-------------------
November 11, 2004 6:00PM @ Atmosphere Annealing, Inc.

Installfest and Beginner's Night

Our most popular type of meeting is dedicated to those users who want to
try out Linux or BSD, but haven't quite gotten the hang of installation
or configuration, or simply haven't had the time. We also invite you
stop by for a chat if your system is up and running and you've got some
questions on how to use it. Experienced users are welcome and
encouraged to come out and lend a knowledgable hand.

Upcoming Events
---------------
- 11 Nov Installfest and Beginner's Night
- 18 Nov LPI Certification Training
- 25 Nov [ No Meeting; Thanksgiving ]
- 02 Dec Installfest and Beginner's Night
- 09 Dec Presentation: CGI Programming in C by Clay Dowling
- 16 Dec LPI Certification Training
- 23 Dec [ No Meeting; Holidays ]
- 30 Dec [ No Meeting; Holidays ]
--