[GLLUG] UPS for Linux Boxes

Marr marr at flex.com
Fri Nov 19 12:33:49 EST 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 08:41am, Ex Fed wrote:
> Does anybody out there have experience with UPSes that will work out of the
> box with LINUX.  I am looking for a UPS / Software combination that does
> smart signaling ( ups can communicate to the computer, the battery status,
> percentage of charge, run time left etc)

Lee,

I've used a couple of APC "Back-UPS Pro 650" models with good luck for a few
years now. With the right cable (a couple different types are usually
supplied with the APC UPS), you can use the 'apcupsd' project to communicate
with them over RS-232 and (with a compatible RS-232/USB adapter like my
Belkin F5U109 or IOGear GUC232A) over USB.

The 'apcupsd' project is here:

   http://www.apcupsd.com

In fact, they just released a new version of the PDF and HTML (online)
manuals, in part based on some small additions I suggested based on my
testing a few months back.

HTH....

Bill Marr