[GLLUG] UPS for Linux Boxes

Benjamin Minshall minshal1 at msu.edu
Fri Nov 19 18:06:04 EST 2004

>I have an APC SU-1250 which the battery packs have gone flat. APC tells me
>the fix is to return them to APC and buy a new unit, which is not an option
>for me. Does anyone have a cost effective source for replacement packs for
>this thing?

As a side note, not all APC UPSs have user-replaceable battery packs;
some Smart-UPS models from a while ago have built-in batteries.  Perhaps
that is what they meant when they said the whole unit must be replaced.
  If you aren't comfortable working with side cutters and a soldering
iron inside a high voltage device, you probably ought not do it.
Otherwise, I'd try Interstate battery, or try rigging the thing up with
tractor, auto or marine batteries in series to get the proper voltage
(probably 48V for APC).

-Ben