[GLLUG] UPS for Linux Boxes

Jason Watson jaywatts at gamebox.net
Fri Nov 19 16:52:27 EST 2004

Interstate battery can order replacements for just about any type of
battery.  Their local store is on the corner of Saginaw and Waverly.  Just
get the part number off the old batteries and call them or go to their
website to cross reference to one of their part numbers.  Other than that
there is online/catalog order through Newark, Digikey, Mouser or other
electronics supplier.  Along with the voltage, physical size and rated
capacity, the tricky thing to watch out for is the terminal type and
placement.  Most battery manufacturers will have very similar part numbers
for the different terminal types so make sure you get the right one.

One last tip.  When disconnecting the batteries, especially if the wire lugs
are bolted to the batteries, disconnect the negative terminal first.
Accidently bumping the wrench from the positive terminal to the metal case
(which is usually directly connected to the negative terminal) can cause
harm to you and/or the wrench.  Luckily for me, experience's price was only
the wrench and ridicule from the old timer technicians.

--Jason Watson