[GLLUG] freebsd upgrade question

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 18 09:26:44 EDT 2004

Hi:

When doing a freebsd upgrade (i.e. 4.9 to 4.10)
(make update; make world; make kernel; mergemaster; etc),
is it necessary to set both supfile and portssupfile
to point to the release (i.e. RELENG_4_10)?
Or, can I leave portssupfile as "tag=." and that would
or would not effect the update-world-kernel-mergemaster
effect?

Specifically,
for the /etc/make.conf file, I do this
SUPFILE=        /usr/home/sharrison/stable-supfile_4_10R
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/home/sharrison/ports-supfile_4_10R

And,
diff ports-supfile_4_10R ports-supfile_4_10R~
54c54
< *default release=cvs tag=4_10R
---
 > *default release=cvs tag=.
diff stable-supfile_4_10R stable-supfile_4_10R~
73c73
< *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_10
---
 > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

The above is a working recipe that has worked for
me before.  I really want to reboot into release
prior to cvsup-ing to current.  I hear that upgrading
to release is the safest way to go.

Can I leave portssupfile as "tag=." and that would
or would not effect the update-world-kernel-mergemaster
effect?  I have RTFM-ed, etc and have my own guesswork,
but when doing a freebsd upgrade... am inclined to stick
with working recipe first.

Also, I would assume that (http://www.freebsd.org/security/)
RELENG_4 == RELENG_4_10? ...although I also try to avoid
assumptions during an upgrade...

Thanks in advance to any tips out there.

Regards,
Scott