[GLLUG] freebsd upgrade question

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon Oct 18 10:09:44 EDT 2004

ports should always be tag=. unless you insist on having
the exact set of ports supplied with a release.  This is
usually not desirable since only the ports HEAD branch (tag=.)
gets updated for security, upgrades, etc.  Ports are intended
to work with at least the last few releases of FreeBSD,
including a major version.  Sometimes when needs diverge,
they will offer a small overhaul on the ports website for
older systems so the latest ports still work.

RELENG_4 is the tag for the 4-stable branch.  There may be
release tags for specific versioned branches off of 4 or 5.
You need a tag something like RELENG_4_10_RELEASE to get
an actual release at a specific date.  Be forwarned that
cvsuping with a nonexistant tag will delete the files you
are intending to update.  If this happens just cancel
and fix the tag.