[GLLUG] problems with my sound card...

Ryan R. Matt swimmerooo at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 14:58:25 EDT 2004

To anyone who can help me:

     As magically as I had sound on my machine, it no
longer works.  I am running Mankdrake 9.2 the download
edition; I have a 6 yr. old SoundBlaster Live!
creative soundcard; I'm using KDE 3.1; and I have
looked through the HowTo's and man pages to no avail.
When I first installed linux, I had a problem getting
my sound to work.  I read all the documentation I
could find to try and resolve this problem and nothing
seemed to work, then one day I just re-tried
everything I read that claimed to fix it again and if
finally worked.  Yesterday, my sound stopped working.
I have even triedto update the driver but to no avail,
I still don't have any sound.  Rather, I receive this
dialog box that says /dev/dsp cannot be opened,
continue to use null output device.

     If anyone has any advice as to what I should do,
that would be greatly appreciated.

     Thank you for your patience with a linux newbie
and you assitance.

~Ryan