[GLLUG] Classes @ LCC

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed Sep 15 10:05:56 EDT 2004

dennis-groups6481 at mailzoo.com said:
> There are new courses (pending approval) that will be developed include:
>
> -PHP/MySQL
> -PERL/CGI
> -Apache/IIS Web server Administration
> -Web Development Tools (Overview of Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.)
> -Intro to MySQL
> -Intro to Linux Desktop

Those are nice, but a class where students are forced to do some real
programming would also be good.  I have taught college courses, hired and
trained new graduates, and the thing they are most in need of are some
basic application design and execution skills.  It looks like you have
three language introduction classes in your program already.  How about a
course on web applications that focuses on application design and
implementation?  I would propose replacing the Intro MySQL class with a
class on designing applications with MySQL.  Alternatively, the Linux
Desktop class could be dropped in favor of this course.

My feeling is that putting the students through this sort of course would
make them significantly more marketable.  A student who can show a
finished application to an employer is highly preferable to one who can
show a bunch of classes introducing them to technology.

This opinion might seem a little strong, but programming is hard and you
shouldn't kid yourself or your students otherwise.  You'll be doing them a
big favor by preparing them for it in advance.  Recent graduates of other
schools that I've worked with have expressed the same thing; that more
about the hard stuff of solving problems and less about introducing them
to technology is what they need to prepare them for the workplace.

Clay Dowling
Opinionated programmer and instructor

--
Lazarus Notes from Lazarus Internet Development
http://www.lazarusid.com/notes/