[GLLUG] Newbie Installation fest?

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Mon Sep 20 13:33:09 EDT 2004

I've been running Solaris Express Solaris 10 x86 (which is like a
release candidate or beta?) until my DVD arrives.  I think you might
have read that Solaris 10 is 'single source' which is a Sun tag line for
the fact that both x86 and Sparc builds are based on the same code tree,
and that's somehow better... than the alternative enterprise UNIX OS
that runs on a proprietary platform as well as x86?  But I can't think
of what that'd be. :-)

It's definitely not open source the way Netscape/Mozilla is.  They use
some open source software (like GNOME 2 which is part of Solaris 9
also), but for the most part it seems to be business as usual for Intel
users.  Of course, sunfreeware.org has just about all of the open source
stuff you could want for Solaris.

BTW, how to get the free Solaris 10 DVD:

And where to download the free Solaris 9 binaries (now with free x86
downloads!):
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/get.html

PaulM