[GLLUG] Meeting Thursday, September 23

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Wed Sep 22 18:45:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 06:38:37PM -0400, Sean O'Malley wrote:

  On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Adam McDougall wrote:

  > How much disk space do you have?  Do you need/want more?
  > Are you familiar with Solaris installations or do you need
  > help with the whole thing?  (A decent sized install will
  > probably take a while...)

  I think an everything install is around 1.2G, and 800-900M for one with
  the developer headers and around 600M for the basic install and 400
  without the GUI. I MAY be getting mixed up with Solaris 8 too so don't
  take that as gospel.

  It might be faster to set up a jumpstart server. I think the cd-rom drive
  in those (i assume it has one?) is only like 2-4x and the built-in network
  card should be 10BaseT.

  I unfortunately don't have a sun box at home, so I can't set one up
  tonight.

Rule #1. when you dont have your full artillery of geek tools
available, plan ahead, assume nothing.  I have a external dvd reader
with 68 pin and 50 pin connections :)

Jumpstart can easily consume an evening just debugging it
before letting you get your installs done, if you are unlucky.