[GLLUG] SMTP HELO/Spam Question

Brad Fears brad at tricountywebdesign.com
Thu Sep 30 08:45:45 EDT 2004

We have a qmail smtp implementation for our outgoing mail, which has been
working very well for more than a year now.  However, I sent an email to
myself last evening and noticed that it went straight to my spam folder
(ala spamassassin).  Upon investigation, I found the reason to be that the
dial up connection I was using through MSU was listed in SORBS, DYNABLOCK,
DSBL, etc.

I checked the email headers, and the HELO command from the SMTP server
reflected the local dialup IP address rather than that of the mail server
sending the mail.  I sent a test message from Hotmail to see the results
of the HELO command again, and it reflected "hotmail.com" rather than my
dialup IP, which (I assume) is the reason that spamassassin lets it go
right through.  Does anyone know how to configure qmail-smtpd so it will
send my mail server's IP rather than my dialup IP?  I have relaying
limited to localhost for Squirrelmail, if that has anything to do with it.
 TIA.

--Brad Fears