[GLLUG] mounting directories on a remote system

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Fri Apr 15 15:32:53 EDT 2005

I need to mount directories on one Linux box from another Linux box.
What is the best (easiest?) way to do this? I've found NFS, and shfs
(which requires NFS to be set up first), but I'm hoping to do something
without having to configure an  NFS server on each box that I want to
mount. I suppose having something shared by default wouldn't be the most
secure, so if there is nothing that works out of the box I wouldn't be
surprised. It's just that it's so easy to mount remote windows or NCP
shares, I'm surprised that this isn't easier. I suppose the remote share
in both of those options are previously configured file servers.