[GLLUG] mounting directories on a remote system

Alec Joseph Warner warnera6 at egr.msu.edu
Fri Apr 15 15:44:23 EDT 2005

Andy Lee wrote:

>I need to mount directories on one Linux box from another Linux box.
>What is the best (easiest?) way to do this? I've found NFS, and shfs
>(which requires NFS to be set up first), but I'm hoping to do something
>without having to configure an  NFS server on each box that I want to
>mount. I suppose having something shared by default wouldn't be the most
>secure, so if there is nothing that works out of the box I wouldn't be
>surprised. It's just that it's so easy to mount remote windows or NCP
>shares, I'm surprised that this isn't easier. I suppose the remote share
>in both of those options are previously configured file servers.

If you are mounting stuff from 1 server to multiple clients, you only
need 1 NFS server.  Each computer will probably need some sort of NFS
client software although recent kernels have it build it IIRC.  NFS is
the easiest to configure compared to something like Samba, although SWAT
is pretty nice for configuring samba as well.  if it's all local stuff,
and you don't care too much about security, NFS is usually the way to
go, reliable, standard, simple.  You sould also encrypted it over SSH or
SSL using ssh tunneling or stunnel if you want the data encrypted.

Samba gives you a bit more control over access permissions, although the
configuration is way more advanced as far as knowledge goes.

-Alec