[GLLUG] FTP Server

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:28:59 EDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, impact wrote:

> Well, I just finished reformatting my home server.  I was wondering if
> anyone here could give any useful information about FTP servers.  I used
> ProFTPd before, but for some reason had some problems with speed, and a
> few other problems as well (not neccessarily ProFTPd's fault), like
> Windows client issues.
>
> I've read a bit about vsftp, and wu-ftp.  Can anyone give me any
> directions for a good, easy to configure FTP server?

I use pure-ftpd, which is very easy to configure.  There's no config file,
just the command line options.  Some systems, such as gentoo, will have a
file in conf.d, but that's just a place to store said command-line
options.  The disadvantage, of course, is that in order to change any of
these options, you must restart the ftp server.

It's also very versatile with user authentication.  I found it much easier
to set up a non-system user in a flat file with pure-ftpd than proftpd.

--
I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML Email,