[GLLUG] Help - Installing Linux from a USB drive

Cry Wolf crywolf at kyndimarion.net
Tue Aug 23 14:30:13 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 13:53, eduardo cesconetto wrote:
> Hi list, this is my dilema:
>
> I got a cute Toshiba Portege PII 300 w/ floppy and USB, but no CD,
> and the BIOS won't let me choose the USB as boot...
>
> I need to install any linux distro w/X (kde or gnome..) from the usb
> cdrom.
> I tried using RedHat's 6.2 floppy to begin the install, but it can't
> find my external cdrom (Memorex DVDDL16x on a Compusa usb2.0
> enclosure (model 317929).
>
> Any suggestions?

Have you tried Tom's Root Boot (http://www.toms.net/rb/)?  It's a
floppy-based mini-distro which is intended to be used as a recovery disk,
but might be able to mount a USB cdrom.

Alternatively, get your hands on an old cdrom.  They're readily available.
Ask nicely and show up to a gllug meeting, and one may be there for
you.  :)

--
Some people are like slinkies.  Not really good for anything, but they still
bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.