[GLLUG] Help - Installing Linux from a USB drive

Eric Miller eric.john.miller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:38:02 EDT 2005

I did something like this with an old Toshiba Satellite. I used a sub
100MB distribution, external parallel port zip drive, and boot floppy.
It was based on slackware 10 but I can't remember which one. Came with
Dillo for a browser and an office suite. Not bad performance considering
the speed and memory.

Sorry, I had to borrow the zip dive or I'd offer to lend it to you.

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 14:30 -0400, Cry Wolf wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 August 2005 13:53, eduardo cesconetto wrote:
> > Hi list, this is my dilema:
> >
> > I got a cute Toshiba Portege PII 300 w/ floppy and USB, but no CD,
> > and the BIOS won't let me choose the USB as boot...
> >
> > I need to install any linux distro w/X (kde or gnome..) from the usb
> > cdrom.
> > I tried using RedHat's 6.2 floppy to begin the install, but it can't
> > find my external cdrom (Memorex DVDDL16x on a Compusa usb2.0
> > enclosure (model 317929).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Have you tried Tom's Root Boot (http://www.toms.net/rb/)?  It's a
> floppy-based mini-distro which is intended to be used as a recovery disk,
> but might be able to mount a USB cdrom.
>
> Alternatively, get your hands on an old cdrom.  They're readily available.
> Ask nicely and show up to a gllug meeting, and one may be there for
> you.  :)

Eric Miller

"You don't become a failure until you're satisfied as one."