[GLLUG] Presentations, Website, Meeting Announcement

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Wed Aug 24 22:34:45 EDT 2005

Howdy all,

First of all, I want to apologize for my continually late meeting
announcements. Recently, they've all come a little too close to the
deadline. A few never appeared at all. I'll be working on something
soon that will automate this. (Yes, I intend to replace myself with a
very small shell script.)

Now to the business at hand.

1) Presentations.

In particular, we need them. We'll be starting up a slightly different
schedule as of next week. The schedule, it would seem, is two
workshop-style meetings (like what we've been doing throughout the
summer), an LPI Certification training night, and one presentation
night. On months that happen to have an extra Thursday (roughly every
third month), we'll try to meet at a different venue just to spice
things up a bit.

I've got a couple of people lined up for presentations, but they are not
able to present until possibly a few months down the road. (Those who
have offered to present, please email me your short presentation
description as soon as you can.) I will be attempting to contact the
Novell and NetMax to (re)schedule their respective presentations.

We welcome presentations on practically any topic. The only requirement
is that we want it to involve Linux or open source software in some
way. Commercial presentations are welcome as well, but we would
appreciate ones which demonstrate the features and uses of the product
or technology rather than simply market it. We like to ask lots of
in-depth and nerdy questions, so be prepared for those. (In other
words, send your tech person, not your salesperson. We like to heckle
salespeople until they cry. Not that we've ever done anything like
that. Recently.)

So if you've got a really great, keen, and cool piece of software or
something that you know inside out and would like to introduce to the
rest of us, go right ahead and send me a short description and when
you'd like to do it. Or if you'd like to see a presentation on
something, by all means throw the suggestion out to the list!

If we don't have anyone volunteering to do a presentation in September,
I'll be forced to do one on [dramatic and ominous chord] manually
creating XF86Config and xorg.conf files.

Just as importantly, we could use ideas for the workshops. Send those
along as well!

We also need volunteers for the LPI certification training nights. We
have the content, all you have to do is regurgitate it in front of
others and be somewhat familiar with it so that you can answer
questions and give examples.

Finally, flyers. We always need flyers. Be a pal, make us a few and send
them to the list.

2) Website.

I just switched the www.gllug.org site over to the new Mambo-based site.
Quite obviously, it needs some work. Those with content-posting
privileges may feel free to post some content and help build the site
into what it should be. I'll be working on what I can this week and
possibly over the weekend. If you want to help but don't have
privileges, post a request to the list and we'll see what we can do. In
general, if you've been a part of the LUG for a long time OR if you
show up to meetings semi-regularly, there shouldn't be any problem.

Also, the... er, aesthetics of the site can probably be improved to some
degree. If you want to tinker with the layout or CSS, I can post the
template here to the list.

3) Meeting Announcement. (Aha, you thought I'd forget, didn't you?!)

Another weekly GLLUG meeting is scheduled to be held at the Gone Wired
cybercafe in Lansing at 6:00PM. Gone Wired is at 2021 E Michigan Ave in
Lansing on the north side of the street between N Clemens and Fairview
avenues. Here is a map with the (approximate) location:

http://tinyurl.com/7mh2w

We typically meet in the back portion of the cafe on the lower level.
Venue website: http://www.gonewiredlansing.com/

Agenda: (null)

We honestly don't have anything on the agenda. Not that it really
matters much, as most of us have a smashing good time chattering back
and forth about one geeky thing or another over cafe-style beverages
even when there is an agenda. So come on out and chatter!

Please take a moment to RSVP if you plan to attend this meeting so that
we can get a general idea of how many will show up. Just reply to this
message (with the GLLUG list address in the "To:" field) indicating
your desire to attend and/or change the message Subject to "RSVP".
Thanks!
--
http://bityard.net