[GLLUG] Setting up a home server

Nader Abedrabbo aenader at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 09:56:20 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I have a question about setting up a home server.
I have a PIII (450MHz) computer at home that I don't use. Recently I
installed RH9 on it so as to compile some source code for my research
(The code needs RH9!)
I want to setup this computer so as to be a server, where I can access
it from where I work over the net so I can compile my code and load it
to my work place... reason, long story, but my work still uses RH7 with
old Intel Fortran compiler.. I have been asking them to update to the
new IF compiler for months with no avail...

I spent this weekend looking for help online on how to setup a server
but with no help... There is a lot of information, but I think I got
lost... Most describe how to setup a LAN, but I want one where I access
it form work using SSH maybe, or SFTP.

I have basic knowledge of Linux, I an manage myself in it easily... but
I have to confess I woke with windows more... Trying to switch though :)

Can you please give me advice on how to go about to setting this system
up? If you direct me to books, web links that would be great..

Thanks,

Nader