[GLLUG] Setting up a home server

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Mon Dec 12 11:11:37 EST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 09:56, Nader Abedrabbo wrote:

> Can you please give me advice on how to go about to setting this
> system up? If you direct me to books, web links that would be great..
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nader

If I get this right, you want to set up a server at home and then access
it from everywhere else, right? You're in luck, as this isn't terribly
difficult. If you already have a home network set up (as opposed to a
single workstation connected directly to the cable or DSL modem), then
you're halfway there. If not, google for information on how to put
together a simple home LAN with a firewall. (I recommend IPCop,
http://www.ipcop.org, on an old Pentium II but you can also buy
firewalls from companies like Netgear and Linksys that work well for
simple setups. They appear to call them "routers" these days.)

Once that's taken care of, just install your OS, give the machine a
static IP, and configure your firewall to pass traffic on a specific
port (or set of ports) to the server. For example, if you want SSH and
SFTP, have your firewall forward port 22 to the server.

A few hours research should be enough to get you started. Sorry that I
don't have any specific links to give you. You might, however, see if
the Linux Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org) has anything you
can use.

--
Charles Ulrich