[GLLUG] for python aficionadoes; book recommendation

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Fri Jan 7 17:11:06 EST 2005

Hi,

For any programmers out there into Python,
I came across an interesting book review
(in Linux Journal, February 2005)
of a free, online text "Dive into Python"
(also available in paper form:
http://www.diveintopython.org/;
http://diveintopython.org/toc/index.html).

Looks really good in terms of covering
the range of tasks Python is very good
at, as well as how to be elegant with one's
general approach.

An excerpt from Mark Orr's Book Review (Linux Journal February 2005):
begin-excerpt
This book teaches Python by dissecting useful programs that do actual
tasks, such as using regular expressions to validate street addresses
and phone numbers and accessing HTTP and SOAP Web services, and
providing great detail about what might go wrong and how to troubleshoot
it. Pilgrim emphasizes how to write unit tests and the "write tests
before code" philosophy. In the book, readers get the code before the
explanation. Pilgrim does a remarkable job of making his explanations
clear and complete, and he introduces concepts exactly where you need them.
end-excerpt

(I have no vested interest in this book, linux journal, etc.)  Just
know that there a few python enthusiasts out there, and
this seems like a good text with which to take a good quantum
step with technique for that programming language.

Habba gewd weekend y'all!

Regards,
Scott