[GLLUG] Re: Database Independent Programming in C Presentation

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Tue Jan 11 00:01:47 EST 2005

Scott Harrison wrote:
> Also, on a related note for all of these presentations,
> it would be interesting to set up a quicktime video
> feed of these presentations, along with some instant
> messaging feedback from those remotely viewing
> the presentation.  Doing that however may be a question of
> effort-and-logistics versus actual demand (and for
> some, may stretch the definition of what it is to have
> a local users group).  It is at least an innovative idea, and
> I haven't heard of other LUG's doing something like this.

This is far from the first time this has been suggested and I'm starting
to believe that it's just going to keep popping up until we at least
give it a shot. :)

If someone has the equipment, this sounds like it would make a neat
academic project at the very least. We could potentially dedicate an
entire evening to setting it up and have a few volunteers stay home to
see how the resulting video looks on the other side of the net. The only
obstacle might be the outgoing bandwidth for the video. I don't recall
offhand what the limit is, but we wouldn't be very gracious guests if we
killed AAI's upstream (or even our allotted slice of it, if there is
one) during the GLLUG meeting. There are also security concerns as well,
since I know our host would really rather not have people outside
connecting to a machine inside AAI's network.

To that end, input from anyone who has done streaming video before would
be much appreciated. In particular, what kind of bandwidth are we
looking at for something small and simple like 320x200 with lo-fi audio?
Can the stream be directed to an outside server that the clients could
connect to instead of having them all connect to a machine on AAI's
internal network?

Charles
--
http://bityard.net