[GLLUG] VPN

Brian Hoort hoortbri at msu.edu
Thu Jan 20 09:24:17 EST 2005

Oh wise persons on the mount,

A friend of mine runs a small biz out of his home.  There are 4 full time
employees, I think.  He's very mobile, and uses his laptop frequently from
other locations with high-speed access.  He wants to be able to run a
certain app that you have to connect to a server for.  I believe this calls
for VPN, no?  (They are running all Windows PCs).

I'm trying to hash-out our options.  I know one is to setup a Linux server
and setup SWAN or whatever VPN.  I want to know what my other options are
as well before I make a pitch.

Are there wireless/router/switches like boxes available with VPN? (Think
Linksys, Dlink, etc.).  It seems this would be a popular feature, and would
be a lot more sensible in regards to future maintenance than setting up a
whole server just for VPN.

Thanks, oh wise persons,

--
   Brian Hoort