[GLLUG] web hosting control

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon Jan 31 13:36:31 EST 2005

Lansing Schools is looking for something to ease management of the
district web server. What is desired is to be able to hand off some
level of web site configuration to staff at some of the local schools
(ie. the netadmin at sexton be able to administrate all web sites that
are derivatives of programs at sexton etc.) without district admins
needing to make every change that has to be made.

We have found a commercial product called cpanel (cpanel.net) that
appears to do this but I have reservations because it is closed. It
works with apache, php, mysql etc but does so in such a way that it
obscures what is happening behind the curtains and also appears to
heavily modify many aspects of the server (to the point that they
recommned to wipe and rebuild the server to uninstall).

Does anyone know of any open solutions that use standard off the shelf
apache (and other) packages to accomplish this? Freshmeat supplied a few
possibles (web-cp, vhost, Domain Technologie Control, host4net) some of
which are more complete than others but I wondered what folks on the
list might recommend.

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

Windows will always suck until it is installed on vacuum cleaners!