[GLLUG] web hosting control

asenchi at asenchi.com asenchi at asenchi.com
Mon Jan 31 13:51:02 EST 2005

Bill Bartilson spewed:
> I'm always thinking simplicity when looking for solutions that involve
> multiple folks handling a central/common task.  While there might be a
> commercial product that will do it, the question always comes down to
> cost/hassle/benefit comparisons.
>
> If it were my project to split up (and when I worked at Lakewood, it
> was) I'd simply create a different user account for each segment, like:
>
> lsd.k12.mi.us/~sexton
> lsd.k12.mi.us/~eastern
> lsd.k12.mi.us/~everett
>
> Then just make a launch page for the district that gets the user to the
> site that is of interest to them.
>
> Now, if you want common style sheets and such like, that will add a
> layer of complexity on initial setup, but won't be a daunting task.
>
> That's how I handled it...I'm very interested to hear other opinions on
> why that's a good/bad idea.
>
> Regards,
> -Bill

This sounds like the best solution.  You can even point domains to each of
these then (if needed).

It seems to me however that the style sheets would only cause trouble if this
were a chrooted environment, otherwise, this seems pretty simple.  However
I've never set something up like this...

--
<<< Asenchi >>>