[GLLUG] web hosting control

Darrel Clute darrel_clute at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 23:12:35 EST 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 133, Mike Rambo wrote:
> Lansing Schools is looking for something to ease management of the
> district web server. What is desired is to be able to hand off some
> level of web site configuration to staff at some of the local
> schools (ie. the netadmin at sexton be able to administrate all web
> sites that are derivatives of programs at sexton etc.) without
> district admins needing to make every change that has to be made.
>
> We have found a commercial product called cpanel (cpanel.net) that
> appears to do this but I have reservations because it is closed. It
> works with apache, php, mysql etc but does so in such a way that it
> obscures what is happening behind the curtains and also appears to
> heavily modify many aspects of the server (to the point that they
> recommned to wipe and rebuild the server to uninstall).

What you most likely want is a content management system (CMS) not a
hosting control panel.  There would be no need from your description
to have the individual "content admins" to be able to complete tasks
which would fall to the sysadmin.  The CMS that my company uses is
Mambo http://www.mamboserver.com/.  From what you described above
Mambo fits better than a hosting control panel.

--

Darrel Clute, CCNP/CCDP/LPIC-1

To Decipher Code - http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/

To Learn About Code - http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html