[GLLUG] MAC OS9

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 7 17:11:21 EDT 2005

On Thursday 07 July 2005 16:45, after a long battle with technology,
David D wrote:
> Can anyone talk me through connecting MAC's running OS9 to my SUSE
> box through Samba or whatever I would use for file access?
> What I know so far is that APPLE states I need a third party
> software...

Yep.  If you want to use Samba, DAVE client for MacOS 9 seems to work
pretty well.  It's payware.

If you want to use Appletalk (requires no payware on the Mac end), then
you have to install netatalk on the Linux machine, edit some files
in /etc/atalk/ , and "/etc/init.d/atalk start".  This is a decent
solution, but netatalk's documentation is kind of obscure.  There are
also *no* utilities for diagnosing atalk problems on Linux, nor are
there any working kernel- or user-space utilities for Linux that allow
you to mount Appletalk-shared filesystems.  (I guess this is because
Appletalk isn't run over IP, and everything else you see these days
*is*.)

> And no OSX is not an option at this time...

MacOS 9 has essentially been abandoned.  (Good riddance; there's no
excuse for cooperative multitasking and no memory protection.)  If you
wish to continue using Macs, you will eventually be forced into using
OS X, if only because the programs you need to run will not be
available for MacOS 9.  HTH,

--
   Quantum theory states that you have changed the actual contents of
   this message by observing it.  Since you have changed it, we can't be