[GLLUG] MAC OS9

Mike Szumlinski szumlins at mac.com
Fri Jul 8 09:56:09 EDT 2005

Netatalk works over TCP/IP, so there isn't the small-packet-lots-of-
noise problem Appletalk had in the past.

There are a couple of things to note about netatalk however...

It works about as well as the Microsoft AFP Protocol does on windows
servers
1)  No special characters
2) No filenames over 23 characters
3) Poor filesystem utilization discovery (ie, it doesn't know when
the server is full)

There are all issues I have run into in the past.  Hope that helps.

I have about 150 machines (about 60 mobile here) and we made the
transition to OS X in about 4 months.  The hardest thing was getting
all the hardware up to snuff so it would be usable.