[GLLUG] MAC OS9

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Fri Jul 8 10:09:17 EDT 2005

They cut down the chattiness with OS 8.1 I think it was. It is actually
less chatty then Windows was at the same time period.

The Appletalk client on OS 8.5+ will autonegotiate between straight
Appletalk and Appletalk/tcpip and will by default choose tcp/ip if it is
available if you leave Appletalk/ethertalk enabled on the server. (tcp/ip
is faster then ethertalk on the same network by like 2x, and it is a nice
speed boost.)

I don't think OS X supports ethertalk anymore so this will be part of your
upgrade path anyway. OS X uses Zeroconf, rendezvous. (they renamed it for
legal reasons to something else..) but essentially that is the replacement
for the finding of services on the network instead of running ethertalk
it uses tcpip. However, it is not supported on 9.x and you are kind of
stuck.

If you are dead set against the chattiness of Appletalk/ethertalk.. You
can drop and someone may correct me but I think it is the "Apple File
Sharing" extension from OS 9. However, before you do this, you will also
have to have lpr printing configured on your network (which isn't hard.)
as Nothing will show up in the Chooser.  You will still have tcp/ip
network services available, but you have to find them. =) The individual
machines just won't be probing the network to find the new services
automatically. This might not pose a problem for you but it might for your
users if they are used to going to the chooser to select printers. You
have to use the Desktop Printers of which you can script out to set up.
or they are used to mounting their individual file space off the server.

I kind of winged through that in a hurry, so if that doesn't totally make
sense ask or it is confusing ask. I am not the most eloquent writer to
begin with. =)

Sean