[GLLUG] Suggestions on hardware migration?

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at sequoianet.com
Tue Jul 12 12:51:28 EDT 2005

Hey folks, thought I would throw this out to see what you thought.

I need to upgrade my linux box to faster hardware, and I'm going from one box to a totally different one.  I don't want to reinstall because it takes too much time for the post install tweaks.

So I ordered a Dell SC420 server, Celeron 2.5Xmhz, 533 bus, 512 DDR-2 memory for $275 (how do they do that!) and I want to migrate the OS to the new system.  Also, the new system is SATA, and the old is an IDE drive.

So what I was thinking is to just do a dd copy (e.g. 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=512') to just move the whole thing over intact, then use a partition resized (Partition magic?) to expand the linux partitions to fill the rest of the drive.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Mark Lachniet