[GLLUG] Dual boot Fedora and Win XP

Shaun Langley sphongophorus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:15:33 EDT 2005

Dear new friends,

It was recommended that I foward my question to you in hopes you might
be able to help.  I have been trying to set up a dual boot system on
my computer but all attempts have thus far failed.  Here is what I
have done so far.

I have XP installed on its own hard drive (installed without the
second drive connected)
I plug in the second hard drive (set to Master, XP drive is slave) and
install fedora.
I configure boot options that should allow me to boot to XP (although
it only shows up as "other" during the install wizard).
When I finally get to try to boot into XP, it hangs with the following
words listed on screen (this is what was configured after running
Fedora Install:

rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

I have made various attempts to change this including the following script:

makeactive **(I can't remember where this command was put but I think
I put it here)**
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
boot

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

I don't know if this is relavent, but I think when I installed XP over
2000, it created a windows dual boot... could this be contributing to
the problem and how do I repair that?

Thanks