[GLLUG] copy files between 2 FTP servers

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Jun 21 11:44:05 EDT 2005

Eduardo Cesconetto wrote:
> Is it possible to copy files from an FTP server to another w/o having
> to download them them uploading?
> If yes, does anybody has the syntax?

FTP originally had support for this (RFC 959), but because of security
issues (such as those discussed in RFC 2577, the "bounce attack") I
believe no servers support that any more, and I certainly have no idea
how to set it up. (If it's even possible, you'd need a command line
client, and even then it may not support it...)

You'll need shell on one server or another, or set up some other method
to transfer files, based on the ability to access one or the other with
something higher than FTP.