[GLLUG] gentoo Question 1: dhcpcd

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Mar 8 14:59:25 EST 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 14:04, after a long battle with technology,
Brian Hoort wrote:
> At 11:55 AM 3/8/2005, you wrote:
> >On Tuesday 08 March 2005 10:39, after a long battle with technology,
> >Brian Hoort wrote:
> > > Every boot of my system, I have to log in as root and "# dhcpcd
> > > eth0" manually.  I figured I needed to "# rc-update dhcp" or
> > > something, but there is no /etc/init.d/dhcp*.
> >There is an /etc/init.d/net.eth0 , isn't there?  "rc-update add
> > net.eth0 default".
> Ah yes.  That took.  Thank You.
> After I get my wireless card working (this is proving more difficult)
> I'll do the same for net.lo, no?  What is the "lo"?

lo is "loopback".  It has nothing to do with wireless NICs.  The
loopback interface should be started automagically in the "boot"
runlevel; otherwise a number of things (like X) won't work right.

> >/etc/conf.d/net should have the following lines in it:
> ># writes DHCPCD messages to syslog, so if something goes wrong,
> ># you'll get some warning
> >dhcpcd_eth0="-d"
> Don't have that.  What is that?  That's not a commented out default,
> either.

That's a way for you to pass user-defined options to dhcpcd.

> >/etc/dhcpc/ contains something or other.  Looks like a couple of
> > text files describing the network settings that were obtained by
> Well, then I would guess it's depreciated or something,

It's lost some of its monetary value due to use over time?
("deprecated" != "depreciated" even though they're speeled similarly.)

> 'cause there's nothing at all in mine, and I'm on DHCP right now.

Yeah, I think you're right and it served a purpose once but doesn't now.

--
 As a dog stood outside the gate of a temple, the Buddha called to him,
 "Dog, why do you not enter?" The dog looked back and replied, "I do not