[GLLUG] Ubuntu Woes

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Thu Mar 24 10:00:45 EST 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 19:55, Chick Tower wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 4.10 on my PC and I've been playing around with it
> some.  Maybe it's just because I usually use KDE, but I sure didn't find
> it easy to do things with Ubuntu and/or Gnome.  It feels to me like
> something big is just sitting right in the way of where I want to go
> when I try to do things.

I can sympathize. I never was a big fan of Gnome after 2.0 was released and
have avoided it since. I use KDE and really like it a lot. It sounds like
most of the problems you experienced were with Gnome rather than the distro
itself. If you'd like to keep Ubuntu but go with KDE instead, there's
Kubuntu:

http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/

They haven't yet released a version 1.0, but it's expected soon. According to
the FAQ, you can get the preview without having to download an CD or
reinstall the OS just by running this command on a working Ubuntu setup:

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

But maybe this wouldn't be the best option since it sounds like you have a
dialup internet connection... the KDE packages are sure to be around a couple
hundred megs.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Charles
--