[GLLUG] Konqueror File Browser Shortcut Missing

Marr marr at flex.com
Sun May 1 13:15:31 EDT 2005

Greetings all,

I finally got around to upgrading my 24/7 machine from Slackware 9.1 to
Slackware 10.1. I'd been using Slackware 10.0 and 10.1 on some of my other
machines but not often enough to notice a particular feature missing from the
newer version of Konqueror (v3.3.2, used as a file browser).

I used to be able to strike one or more keys which represented the first 'n'
characters of the name of a file which I wanted to move the file browser
cursor directly to. In other words, if I wanted to jump directly to the file
whose name started with 'myfile_is_here.txt', I could just type 'm',
optionally followed by more characters ('y', 'f', etc) as needed to uniquely
identify the file.

Unfortunately, it seems as if that feature has disappeared somewhere along the
way. I've been unable to find any option in the Konqueror configuration
dialogs to re-enable it. :^(

Does anyone know how to enable this or is this feature gone forever? Other
than creating a shortcut key with no modifier (Ctl, Alt, Shift, etc), which
seems like a silly thing to do, it doesn't seem like this missing feature
would conflict with anything, so I'm surprised to see it gone.

TIA for any tips....

Bill Marr