[GLLUG] Konqueror File Browser Shortcut Missing

Marr marr at flex.com
Mon May 2 09:49:53 EDT 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 09:29am, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Sunday 01 May 2005 13:15, after a long battle with technology, Marr
>
> wrote:
> > a particular feature missing from the newer version of Konqueror
> > (v3.3.2, used as a file browser).
> > I used to be able to strike one or more keys which represented the
> > first 'n' characters of the name of a file which I wanted to move the
> > file browser cursor directly to.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it seems as if that feature has disappeared somewhere
> > along the way.
>
> ?  Works fine here, KDE 3.3.2 (Gentoo).  Maybe it's a Slack-specific
> problem.

Ah, thanks... good to know. Based on that, I've played around a bit more.

It seems that it won't work when the files are sorted by the 'Modified' field
(which is the usual case for me). Actually, it works in that case, but it's
using the date/time-stamp text in the 'Modified' column rather than the
filename -- ick! Not using the filename as the target sort of defeats the
purpose of having the feature in the first place! In other words, the only
reason I need the feature is when I'm _not_ sorting by filename, which is
exactly when the feature _doesn't_ work! Yuk!

Aside: The funny thing is, I recall surmising that (as stupid as it seems to
me) the feature might not work unless sorting was done by the 'Name' field.
I'm sure I tried that and saw that it didn't work, but now when I do it, it
_does_ seem to work so I guess I'm just losing my sanity.... :^)

Thanks again for your input, Matt!

Now if only I could get KDE to revert to the "old" behavior.... :^(

Bill Marr