[GLLUG] Cheap laptops

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed May 25 09:45:41 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 08:51, after a long battle with technology,
Lachniet, Mark wrote:
> Yao-Ying Chien wrote:
> > I am interested in buying a laptop computer. Mainly to run
> > Linux, say Redhat 8.0+.  Min CPU speed 700 MHz. If you have
> > any, could you please email me the model and your price?
> > IBM Thinkpad T22 is my temporary reference point for
> > performance/price. I don't know if it's a good one.

A T22 should be OK, but you'll probably want to get another stick of RAM
for it.  IBM's laptops all take standard SODIMMs, so no worries there.

> keep an eye on xpbargains.com and you can get a spiffy new one cheap
> ($600-$700)

I've been using IBM Thinkpads of various types to run Linux since 2000.
My current machine is an A22p (PIII-900, 384M, 1600x1200 screen,
built-in floppy, CD-RW in Ultrabay) and everything Just Works.  I took
a look on the "refurb/open box deals" section of pricewatch.com and
found that you can get a factory refurbished Thinkpad T30 (P4-1600,
256M, 1024x768 screen, DVD-ROM) for $720.  Reports from
linux-on-laptops.com say that the T30 works well with Fedora Core 3.

Or you can go with the T22.  Whatever works.  If you're willing to wait
~8 months, I'm probably going to be getting a newer laptop and selling
my old A22p for about half of what I paid for it, but you probably
don't want to wait that long!  HTH anyway,

--
   One OS to rule them all, with DRM to find them
   One OS to bring them all and with the EULA bind them