[GLLUG] How would you go about buying a new pc?

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Tue Nov 15 11:28:44 EST 2005

Hello fellow GLLUs,

It appears that I will be able to get a new computer. This will be my desktop
computer at work, and is replacing a Dell Precision 220 I got in early 2001.
It's always dual-booted NT (technically, since I can't recall the last time I
used it) and my linux flavor of the day; currently it's an upgraded Kanotix.
For the most part my needs are pretty straightforward:

1) office software, coding (C, Python, nothing really high-performance,
although often with pretty substantial data/memory requirements), statistics.
2) GIS/computer mapping
3) possibly more data storage than the average user, but then I have network
access to bigger drives.
4) Usual level of web-surfing multimedia
5) No more Windows
6) Solid hardware recognition by Kanotix, or similar distro that prides itself
on making hardware work.
7) Something that will run reliably and not be too outdated in 3 or 4 years.

Aside from the box I'd like to replace my big CRT monitor with a big flat
panel monitor to free up desk space. I'll just move my current speakers over.

Number 6 is really a critical issue. I'm not really a hardware guy, so
building a system is probably out. I know enough to basically spend hours
grinding through problems (with the help of Google and a few bookmarked
pages) and sort of fixing them. This is not something I love doing, however.

So the questions:

1) Are there web-based resources for easily specing a system that will work,
especially with respect to item #6? For example, http://www.mysuperpc.com/ is
pretty Windows-centric. Anything like that for linux?

2) Online Vendor choices. I will install Linux myself; I don't need it
preinstalled, since I will try to make Kanotix work. That means I'd really
prefer not to have an OS preinstalled. I definitely don't want to buy XP with
my system. I have heard negative things about Dell and linux; your thoughts
on this would be helpful, since MSU likes to steer sales Dell's way.

3) Are there local stores that you've worked with to develop linux-only
systems? Stories here would also be very appreciated.

4) Any specific thoughts on what you'd get today?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Ashton

--
Ashton Shortridge
Assistant Professor			ashton at msu.edu
Dept of Geography			http://www.msu.edu/~ashton
235 Geography Building			ph (517) 432-3561
Michigan State University		fx (517) 432-1671
Geography Has moved! Map: http://www.rsgis.msu.edu/images/parking-map.gif