[GLLUG] How would you go about buying a new pc?

Michael Rudas (computer) MPR_Linux at Ameritech.net
Tue Nov 15 18:16:09 EST 2005

Andy Lee wrote:

>Don't blow off Windows PCs without further consideration. Often with incentives a PC with Windows pre-installed is cheaper than the same system without it. You're going to overwrite it anyway.

Why overwrite it?  With a pre-made system, if you have warranty-related
problems or need tech support an (unfortunate) fact of life is: you're
gonna hafta be running Windows.  In fact you may be in violation of your
warranty terms otherwise.

A better solution is to add a drive, install Linux to THAT, and
dual-boot.  When you can get an 60-to-80 GB drive for about $60
installed, the incremental cost is minimal--and you get the best of both
worlds--though I hesitate to use the words "best" and "Windows" in the
same sentence...